Sunday, March 31, 2019

Us: Movie Review

     Spoilers ahead!!! What kind of acid trip was I on last night? I'm not asking this in a negative way because the movie was good, but wow. I felt like I was on another planet while seeing this film. Today, I will be writing my thoughts on the 2019 film, Us, which was executive produced by Jordan Peele, who is an absolute genius. I continue to look forward to seeing what other movies he has planned for the future!

     Ok. I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was going to be scarier than it was, but I wasn't mad when it did not turn out to be that way. This movie is not a horror film; it's a psychological thriller. Lupita Nyong'o does a great job in conveying the psychological aspect to the audience. You can see the fear and craziness in her eyes for both of the characters she plays. I can't wait to see her in be nominated in the Academy Awards next year! The supporting cast did an amazing job as well! I thought the actress who played Zora had the creepiest doppelgänger. She did a great job with that disturbing smile. The comic relief of the film came from Gabe, the father. I loved the scene when the family was taking count on how many Tethered they had killed, and of course Gabe had the standout part in that scene. The actor who portrayed Jason and his doppelgänger, Pluto also did a great job. I loved the parallel of the fire between the two. I was surprised Elisabeth Moss did not have a larger part in the film, but I thought she did an extraordinary job playing her twin. She always kills it in whatever she plays.

Image result for us movie

     The movie had so many unique and intriguing scenes in it. The opening scene did a great job in setting up the plot for the film. Every one in my theater was like "Oh shit" when young Adelaide first saw her doppelgänger, and then the movie went right to the opening credits. That was an amazing transition. Another scene I liked is after the power goes out in the family's home, Jason says, "There's a family in our driveway." I got chills when he said that, and I knew right there that I was going to be in for quite the ride. Then, that scene was followed by the interrogation scene where Red is staring at Adelaide with that scary-ass stare. Oh my God, that really messed me up the whole time. But my favorite scene in the movie was when the main family's friends are murdered. I loved how the scene had no music over it. I mean, I knew that family was going to die, but I did not think that they were going to die that quickly. After the family is killed, their doppelgänger's all stare at each other and give a nod of approval to each other. That whole scene was spectacular; whoever directed that scene deserves recognition. 

     Ok. The one thing that I really did not "enjoy" in the film was the ending. Let me rephrase that. I did like the ending; however, I saw it coming. In the beginning of the film, I somewhat knew that that was not the real Adelaide that came back. I knew that her doppelgänger had switched with her. Every one was raving about the "twist" ending, but I was not shocked, so my rating of the film went down a little bit after that. I did like the ending as a whole, though. That whole dance sequence at the end of the movie was beautifully acted and choreographed. I appreciated that a lot about the ending. Also, it made sense that bad Adelaide had the ability to switch with the real Adelaide because they were the only two that the experiment worked for. Duh. I couldn't believe I did not pick up on that.

Image result for us movie      There are a few ways to interpret this movie. I interpreted as us (no pun intended) not appreciating the world to our fullest extent. The Tethered appreciated the world above them since the world below them did not contain any happiness or free will. The Tethered reaching across the world means to me that they will appreciate the land above not like the humans did. Also, I realized that the scissors being used as the Tethered's weapons symbolized "cutting the thread of humanity". There are so many details and symbols throughout this film that I will probably notice as I rewatch the film as it comes out. I was a bit confused of how good Adelaide became bad and how bad Adelaide became good. I think it goes to show that the people above really were the good people and the people below really were that evil. That is why bad Adelaide became good and forgot her past as original Red and why the original Adelaide became bad and forgot her past. It totally juxtaposes what Red was telling Adelaide about the Tethered inheriting the Earth as it should be. Very smart of Jordan Peele. 

     Overall, this movie was very good. Would I go see it again for a second time? I think so. The beginning, middle, and even the ending are great in their own, unique way. There are many ways to interpret this movie, and that's ok. Jordan Peele even said that you can interpret the movie in your own way. I'll dock the movie some points for the ending because I saw the "twist" happening even though they made up for it with further explaining the twist. I will give the movie a 7.5/10. I highly recommend you go see the movie yourself and take what you interpret the movie as telling to its audience.

Thank you for reading my thoughts of Us. Did you like or dislike the movie? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ranking "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" Seasons

    We're moving right along with these season rankings of The Real Housewives franchise. Next stop on our rankings comes The Real House...